Disclosure: This post has affiliate links. At no extra costs, we may earn a small commission if you click through and purchase. Learn more
Do you need a high quality video editing software?
Awesome! In this Advantages Guide you will see the benefits of all versions of VEGAS Pro for video editing.
Have you heard about “Sony Vegas”? That is the old version of VEGAS Pro. Now powered and developed by MAGIX, the new VEGAS Pro has a lot brand new exclusive features, such as Ultra HD 8K Support, Artificial Intelligence assisted editing tools, professional audio editing tools, hardware acceleration, industry-leading HDR support and more!
Let’s see all about every version of VEGAS Pro and what they offer.
You can also jump to any version of VEGAS Pro here in the post through this quick access list:
With millions of users, VEGAS Pro is a modern and advanced Non-Linear Editor (NLE) that delivers global industry-leading video editing technologies, always focusing on achieved the highest standards of tech demands.The new VEGAS Pro 18, launched in 2021, is great for Video Production, plus it has an integrated Audio Editing software: SOUND FORGE Pro to enhance the sound of your videos at pro level! You will discover the details ahead.
VEGAS Pro 18 is compatible with:
- Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
VEGAS Pro 18 minimum system requirements are:
- Processor: 6th Generation Intel Core i5 (or AMD equivalent) or better. 2.5 Ghz and 4 Core minimum. For 4K, 7th Generation Intel Core i7 (or AMD equivalent) or better. 3.0 Ghz and 8 Core minimum.
- RAM: 8 GB RAM minimum (16 GB recommended; 32 GB recommended for 4K)
- Hard drive space: Hard drive space: 1.5 GB of hard-disk space for program installation; Solid-state disk (SSD) or high-speed multi-disk RAID for 4K media
- Program languages: English, Deutsch, Español, Français
- Internet connection for downloading, registering and validating the program and for some program functions. Program requires one-time registration.
- Supported GPU:
- Intel® GPU HD Graphics 530 series or higher
- AMD/ATI® Radeon with 4GB and VCE 3.0 or higher (Radeon Pro series with 8GB for HDR and 32 bit projects)
- NVIDIA® GeForce GTX or RTX 9XX series or higher with 4GB
You can be a beginner, an intermediate or an advanced video editor or video producer. Either way, VEGAS Pro is the right software to help you choose the best editing effects to your specific needs and also to help you perfect your editing skills even more.
Let’s see the features of VEGAS Pro 18 in details.
VEGAS Pro 18 has special editing features that lets you focus on your creativity more than on how to use editing tools:
- Video Stabilization engine that corrects shaky videos all by itself to result in smooth and stabilized videos.
- Time Stretch and Compress Shuffle Editing that you can use by pressing CTRL + dragging an event edge to stretch or compress playback.
- Multicamera Editing tool that allows to switch between limitless video sources and interact with keyboard command and mouse click, resulting in easy edit multicamera productions.
- Denoise Filter to reduce unclear, low-light, grainy videos, which converts a noisy video into a sharp, clear and usable footage.
- Stabilization on event level to solve shaky videos that would be otherwise unusable, which streamlines your workflow.
- Motion Track Visualization Tool that allows you to visualize your video’s motion and decide what settings you prefer to achieve optimal results.
- Flicker Control Filter that reduces and removes flickering from video footage, usually caused by sources like neon lights and other sources. You can also use the Or use this filter to add a flicker special effect.
- Nested Timelines that help you organize projects even more and get an even faster workflow. You can also access the nested timelines in independent projects, making project portion sharing easier just so you can keep control of your project as whole.
- Dynamic storyboard workflow and timeline interaction that lets you alternate versions and assemble rough cuts very quickly in an easy-to-use storyboard environment.
- Edits made on the timeline are synchronization to the storyboard with only simple click or automatically. Also, all changes you make to the main storyboard reflect automatically in the timeline.
- Smart Split Edit that automatically jumps cuts on your videos, plus it transitions all remaining events tougher and hides the cut with the Warp Flow transition, a brand new feature to save you editing time!
- Integrated Screen Capture utility that lets you record multiple computer screens and audio sources, all at once. You can import the captured files right to VEGAS Pro timeline, where all it’s synchronized so you can start editing right away.
- Planar Motion Tracking to sit objects square to camera view in videos, track and pin text and color grade moving objects. This tool allows you to change the dimensions of footage as its perspective changes.
- Bézier Masking OFX-Plug-in that lets you create five separate mask effects with rectangle, oval and custom shapes. That’s a great tool to apply a blur effect to a video background and highlight its central subject (person or object), for example.
- Extensive list of backup file options. This allows you to backup your work after a set time of your choice, be it in minutes, hours or days. You can also set it to save your current project after every edit or save a backup file or more backups after every edit. Plus, you choose the destination folder of all your backups within your computer.
Special Effects Features
VEGAS Pro 18 has great special effects features to create unique and original videos:
- Optical-Flow Slow Motion that implements native silky-smooth slow motion to your videos. Also, the Slow Motion OFX plug-in can analyze videos frame by frame to create intermediary frames, resulting in awesome slow motion sequences.
- Colorization: you can color archival footage originally shot in black and white! This filter is driven by Artificial Intelligence, and it’s a brand new feature of VEGAS Pro 18.
- Warp Flow Transition: this tool creates a Sci-fi morphing transition between videos or video clips (pieces of the same video).
- Style Transfer: another effect powered by Artificial Intelligence that stylize your videos in a way that they look as if they were painted by an artist, like a painting by Van Gogh or Picasso.
- FX masking that allows you to add a filter such as Pixelate or blur effect to your entire video, then you can use the mask effect to blur or obscure a specific portion of the video, such as a company logo or personal information in case you’re doing a screen capture of your computer, for example.
- Mesh Warp: with a grid of points to create a map of your video, you can stretch and tweak your footage in multi-ways, develop Sci-fi effects or correct image distortions.
- Compositing modes: with a top-down and multi-layer paradigm for masking and compositing, VEGAS Pro makes it possible for you to assign media tracks as parent or child tracks, then you can apply effects to create custom lighting and textured looks, and develop other effects such as rotate and move tracks in 3D space with the Stereoscopic 3D Project.
- OpenFX architecture: VEGAS Pro stream of leading-edge plug-ing has a wide variety of special effects with the Open Effects Association platform, a modern technology of video effect plug-ins from third-party developers.
Audio Editing Features
From the VEGAS Pro 18 dashboard, you can open the audio tracks of your videos in SOUND FORGE Pro and access:
- More than 40 signal/effects processing tools. You can apply and automate effects such as Noise Gate, Wave Hammer Compression, Equalization (EQ), Dither and Surround Compression, all in real time, by using the envelope control.
- Essential eFX audio plug-in suite by MAGIX, containing a wide set of tools for mastering and sharpen your video’s audio tracks and music you use as video background. You can use audio effects such as noise reduction, speech quality improvement, music improvement, reverb and chorus.
- Surround sound encoding & decoding that allows you create surround mixes right from VEGAS Pro dashboard, you can automate your tracks and buses and optimize your video’s audio for DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.
- Loudness meters to maximize the dynamic range and optimize the mixes of your video’s audio tracks, helping you reach high-quality audio experience for your video’s audience.
- Input buses that let you monitor, and record from external devices and use the features of your own hardware compressors and outboard gear. You can also render in real time and mix audio from external recording gear.
- Envelope automation recording: you record keyframe parameters and track envelope in real time, by mouse click or external control hardware, both for surround/stereo tracks and buses, and also for video tracks.
- Audio synchronization for multi-cam: this tool is awesome in case you need to edit multi-camera events because you can avoid the slow process of manually syncing footage from multiple cameras, and you also avoid third-party software for auto syncing.
- A complete multi-track audio environment with high-quality audio recording and audio editing tools. Get your most complex productions ready with VEGAS Pro 18 multi-track environment, automate your mixes, use the real-time envelope recording, and much more all with unlimited tracks! That’s the perfect combination of a Non-Linear Editor and a powerful Digital Audio Workstation!
You can purchase other SOUND FORGE Pro Products by MAGIX, such as SOUND FORGE Pro 15 Suite (latest version of 2021) to get even more professional features and tools for Audio Editing, and also for Audio Production, Audio Analysis, Audio Cleaning, Audio Restoring and much more!
Color Grading Features
VEGAS Pro 18 has awesome color grading features:
- Improved Color Curves with automatic color balance that you can apply to correct your videos.
- Complete HDR color support to apply color grading to your videos, boosted by the VEGAS’ GPU-based open color I/O (Input and Output) processing.
- Improved White Balance Tool to adjust the proper white and black values of you videos in an easy way.
- Unified Color Grading workflow that allows you to do tasks like color adjusting with the sensitive color curves and color wheels. You can also use VEGAS Pro 18 logarithmic exposure control, Vectorscope skin tone and more!
This way, you can create cinematic effects to your videos and also boost its color schemes and make it look better!
Workflow & User Interface Features
VEGAS Pro 18 has exclusive Workflow & User Interface (UI) features that you can use to speed your editing:
- Plug-in management with a search field that allows you to find plug-ins easily, show your favorite plug-ins with a single click and filter third-party plug-ins by brand.
- Black Bar Fill Filter to remove black bars from vertical videos you shoot with a smartphone.
- Incremental project save: VEGAS Pro 18 saves a new project every time you save, then you can test new ideas and return to a previous version of your project in case you don’t like the editing results.
- “Hamburger” Menu System that lets you customize areas of high-traffic inside the user interface to find tools more quickly and still keep your workspace clutter free.
- Exportable/Importable Preference Settings that let you export or import your custom settings, this way you can import your VEGAS Pro 18 projects on other machines or make a backup export of your VEGAS Pro projects before you upgrade your software version to a new release (no manual re-setting required after any software update).
- Detailed render progress dialog for you to plan more effective render sessions and preview more information about the file that will be rendered.
Final Delivery Features
VEGAS Pro 18 has features to improve the final delivery that will boost your editing projects eve more:
- Advanced hardware acceleration from the technologies AMD graphics, NVIDIA graphics and Quick Sync Video (QSV) by Intel that give you a smooth playback and faster rendering.
- To ensure you use your hardware power to the fullest while rendering, VEGAS Pro 18 sets your GPU for optimal performance and keeps you informed about your drives updates.
- Native Support for Ultra HD 8K Files, which is the resolution of the future!
- Native HEVC, XAVC XAVC-S Support in HD, 2K and Ultra HD 4K, all without requiring extra add-ons or plug-ins to work.
- Project Archiving that lets you organize all your complete projects with its media and archive your project’s media or archive only the timeline media (including nested projects).
- Smart Proxy Workflow that allows you to benefit from faster playbacks of high-resolution videos and create Smart Proxy clips. You can also set VEGAS Pro to create proxy files every time you import an Ultra HD media (4K or 8K) to your project.
- NVENC 10-bit HEVC rendering for modern HLG and HDR applications that require higher bit depth.
Now let’s see the specs of VEGAS Pro Suite and how you can benefit from its exclusive features.
VEGAS Pro Suite
With VEGAS Pro Suite you get all VEGAS Pro features, plus exclusive partner add-ons to have a complete editing power.
The operating system compatibility and minimum system requirements of VEGAS Pro 18 Suite are the same as the ones of VEGAS Pro 18, all explained here in the post.VEGAS Pro 18 Suite is the new 2021 release that includes every VEGAS Pro 18 tool, plus:
- ActionVFX Action Pack to create cinematic quality to your videos that you can see in famous series. You can use elements like explosions, clouds, smoke, clouds and more, all on a transparent background ready to be put on your videos! It’s as easy as drag and drop!
- Threetimes Boris FX plug-in power that allows you to add awesome special effects to your videos, such as Lens Flare 3D, styles, looks and presets. You can also use those effects as a starting point to customize your own looks. This FX Pack includes:
- Boris FX Continuum Film Style Unit
- Boris FX Continuum Particles Unit
- Boris FX Continuum Image Restoration Unit
- NewBlue Transitions 5 Ultimate with 65 unique and stylized video transitions of color, motion light and 3D.
- UNVEIL by Zynaptiq VEGAS Edition: an industry-leading de-reverberator that fixes poor room acoustics and enhances speech intelligibility.
Now let’s see the features of VEGAS Pro 365.
VEGAS Pro 365
This is the subscription plan of VEGAS Pro 18, a low cost alternative to the perpetual license, you can choose a monthly payment and also a yearly subscription.By subscribing to VEGAS Pro 365 you get all features and tools of that VEGAS Pro 18, plus:
- The latest upgrades, updates, patches, and new features.
- VEGAS Hub: Easily move files from your mobile device online to your secure cloud storage and access them directly from within VEGAS Pro. This feature will be available soon in a free update, which means that if you purchase VEGAS Pro 365, VEGAS Hub will come as an update free of extra charges!
- 100 GB secure cloud storage on the VEGAS Hub. This feature will also be available soon in a free update, which means that if you purchase VEGAS Pro 365 now you will get 100GB of cloud storage free of extra charges.
The operating system compatibility and minimum system requirements of VEGAS Pro 365 are the same as the ones of VEGAS Pro 18, all explained here in the post.
Now let’s see the VEGAS Pro Edit features.
VEGAS Pro Edit
With VEGAS PRO 18 Edit, the latest release of 2021, you can get all the essential features of VEGAS Pro 18 that are for Video Editing by purchasing a perpetual license that has lower cost and delivers professional editing tools to create powerful and unique videos.
VEGAS PRO 18 Edit has:
- Industry-leading hardware acceleration
- Artificial Intelligence driven tools
- Sophisticated color grading options
- Industry-leading HDR support
- Powerful plug-in management
In summary, except for SOUND FORGE Pro and the Flicker Filter, you get all that VEGAS Pro 18 features with VEGAS Pro Edit 18!
The minimum operating system requirements and system compatibility of VEGAS Pro18 Edit 18 are the same as the ones of VEGAS Pro 18, all explained here in the post.
Now let’s see which are the VEGAS Pro Add-ons that you can get to boost your video editing projects even more!
VEGAS Pro Add-ons
After you choose what version of VEGAS Pro is the best for you, it’s time to boost it with VEGAS Pro Add-ons to get even better video editing results!
Thanks to its OFX interface, VEGAS Pro supports many Add-ons that include plug-ins, templates, content packs and more!
Let’s see the details.
Boris FX Add-on
You can get Boris FX Video Plug-ins for VEGAS Pro:
- Boris FX Sapphire: this plug-in pack has more than 3,000 templates and classic effects used in Hollywood productions!
- Boris FX Continuum: a “Swiss army knife” of plug-ins with over 500 professionally designed presets, more than 30 drag and drop & transitions, plus image restoration tools!
- Boris FX Mocha Pro: the innovative plug-in for motion tracking, used for major Hollywood productions, with award-winning technology and has features such as screen replacing, object removal and roto masking.
Some units of Boris FX Continuum are included in VEGAS Pro Suite 18.
You can also get NewBlue Video Plug-ins for VEGAS Pro:
- NewBlue Titler Pro 7: this titling software (to create video titles and video text) has a collection of over 700 professionally crafted designs, simplified multi title management, importing support for images and videos, PSD and vector files and many other features!
- NewBlue Complete Content Pack: this content pack works together with NewBlue Titler Pro (explained above), and it has 40 vibrant neon titles, 40 futuristic and polished title designs, more than 190 lower thirds templates for news, reality shows, social media and more (lower thirds are titles placed on the bottom of the screen, such as the name of an interviewer of a TV show), but also 16 professionally designed templates and 132 presets!
- NewBlue Amplify: a collection of over 700 presets in 55 best-selling titling, transitions, and video effects!
You can also get SmartSound® Sonicfire® Pro 6 VEGAS plug-in, an audio editing toolset that instantly creates your own custom version of the music track (including beginning, mid-section and ending) that fits your video’s timing and it has features such as:
- Timing Control
- Custom Length
- Mood Mapping
- Royalty-free music included
You decide what’s best for your editing projects!
Awesome! Now you know all the features of VEGAS Pro Products and how you can benefit from them!
You also know what features each VEGA Pro release has and which are their advantages, system requirements and compatibility, and what add-ons you can get to boost your editing possibilities even more with VEGAS Pro!
Need a professional software for high-quality video editing?
You already know what to do:
Get VEGAS Pro.
You can also share your thoughts in the comments below!